August 18, 2026

Capitalizations Index – B ∞/21M

Vietnam’s Biggest Bitcoin Exchange Has its Domain Seized by Government

Vietnam’s biggest bitcoin exchange has its domain seized by government

Vietnam’s Biggest Bitcoin Exchange Has its Domain Seized by Government

Vietnam’s biggest bitcoin exchange has its domain seized by government

bitcoin Vietnam Co., Ltd., the oldest cryptocurrency exchange in the country, is having its domain name, bitcoin.vn, seized by the Vietnamese government. The Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC) has also decided to fine the company 40 million VND (approximately $1758) for illegal social networking and setting up an illegal site.

bitcoin Vietnam Has Domain Seized by Government

Ho Chi Minh City-based cryptocurrency exchange bitcoin Vietnam, which was officially launched on July 9, 2014, is currently facing an ordeal after being approached by governmental authorities for having “operating a blog without a proper license”.

The Vietnam Radio, Television and Electronic Information Department of the Ministry of Information and Communications has fined bitcoin Vietnam 15 million VND (approximately $659) for operating the illegal blog and 25 million VND (approximately $1100) for illegal social networking. This unauthorized social networking consists of allowing readers to comment on blog posts. Additionally, the agency has confiscated the domain name bitcoin.vn, which will be suspended for 45 days.

Vietnam has made it illegal to issue, distribute, and use digital currencies with a law that came into force on 01 January 2018. bitcoin Vietnam continued operating its cryptocurrency exchange business since then and now risks being prosecuted for criminal liability.

The operator shared via Twitter the document signed by Le Quang Tu Do, Vice Deputy of the Ministry.

“Under the provisions of Decree No. 96/2014/ND-CP dated 17 October 2014 on administrative handling of monetary and banking activities, issuance, distribution and usage of illegal payment instruments (including bitcoin and other virtual currencies) will be subject to administrative penalties. At the same time as from 01/01/2018, the acts of issuing, distributing and using illegal payment means as above shall be prosecuted for criminal liability under the Penal Code 2015 amended and supplemented in 2017.”

bitcoin Vietnam first announced that its primary domain, bitcoin.vn, would be temporarily suspended by VNNIC on March 6.

“VNNIC shall suspend operation of the domain name bitcoin.vn to be handled by the functional agencies according to the provisions of law. The suspension period is 45 days, from 15:00 on 05/03/2018”, said the agency’s statement.

bitcoin Vietnam Co was given 10 days to follow with the sanctioning decisions, which the cryptocurrency exchange already did. The domain is down and the exchange is currently operating under the Bitcoinvn.io domain.

The cryptocurrency ecosystem in the country has thrived in the last few years, but a decree issued October 30 by the State Bank of Vietnam (SBV) determined that virtual currencies are not a legal form of payment. Fines can go up to 200 million Dong (about $9,000 US) for those who violate the government’s rules.

Published at Mon, 07 May 2018 18:11:16 +0000

bitcoin

Previous Article

Warren Buffett Calls Bitcoin ‘Rat Poison,’ Ignores Real-World Utility

Next Article

24/7 Online KPOP IDOL Channel [ALL THE KPOP]

You might be interested in …

NextBlock CEO Alex Tapscott Cancels Plans to Go Public and Will Return Money to Investors

Tapscott

Alex Tapscott, CEO of NextBlock Global, a venture capital company investing in blockchain technologies, announced in a press release yesterday that he is canceling their plans to go public through a reverse takeover (RTO) of Nobelium Tech Corp., a company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).

Tapscott said the young company had “stumbled” in falsely listing some crypto and blockchain experts as members of the firm’s advisory board. He is currently talking to NextBlock investors to work out how to return their original investments and to “rebuild the trust of those [they] have disappointed.”

NextBlock Global raised $20 million in their initial oversubscribed fundraising in July 2017 and had hoped to raise $100 million in the public offering. They planned to invest in digital currencies, blockchain hosting platforms and blockchain-based applications.

CIBC and investment bank Canaccord Genuity (a former employer of Tapscott’s) were underwriters on the deal, but CIBC pulled its support from the young venture capital firm amid the allegations.

According to BNN, clients of CIBC received an email saying, “CIBC has withdrawn as an agent from the NextBlock Global Limited private placement.” CIBC was not available for comment.

Sources have told BNN that Canaccord Genuity remained in the deal.

An article in Forbes last week detailed complaints from Kathryn Haun, Vinny Lingham, Dmitry Buterin and Karen Gifford that Tapscott had circulated an investor deck that incorrectly listed them as members of the NextBlock advisory board.

Dmitry Buterin, co-founder of Blockgeeks and father of Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin, was included in at least one draft of the investor deck. He told bitcoin Magazine in a recent interview what had happened. He recounted:

“It’s pretty simple. Alex asked me to be an advisor, I declined. Then I got a deck forwarded to me which listed me as an advisor. It was forwarded to me by investors who received it from Alex.”

Buterin said he had met with Tapscott to let him know he wouldn’t be on the advisory board:

“We had a meeting and I was not convinced that they have the right resources to pull this off.”

When Is an Advisory Board Not an Advisory Board?

A thread on Twitter about NextBlock recently included some comments about how advisory boards have become routine and are often used as window dressing for making ICO pitches and, therefore, they aren’t really “advising” as such.

One user commented that likely only 50 to 60 percent of advisory boards are legitimate anymore, and put the NextBlock situation in a different light, implying that it’s become common practice to dress up a proposal with photos of known experts.

Amber D. Scott, CEO of Outlier Solutions, told bitcoin Magazine that she gets several requests a week to sit on ICO advisory boards. Scott explained that the conversation often goes like this:

ICO rep: “We saw you speak at an event and would love to add you as an advisor.”

Scott: “I’ve looked at your website/white paper and I’m not sure where you need compliance advice. Could you please elaborate on that?”


ICO rep: “You don’t actually have to do anything. We’ll just put your picture and bio on the website. You have a great name in the community.”


Andreas Antonopoulos, well-known author of “Mastering bitcoin,” says on his website that he does not accept invitations to sit on advisory boards and that he will not discuss projects publicly if he does work as an advisor.


Vitalik Buterin has also had to make it clear several times on Twitter that he is not an advisor for a number of firms that have touted his advice.


What could have been a major scandal for both the Tapscotts (father Don and son Alex) has been averted by this move, but how much long-term damage both NextBlock and the Blockchain Research Institute will sustain to their reputation remains to be seen.


The father-son Tapscott team co-founded the Toronto-based think tank Blockchain Research Institute, and co-authored the book “Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business and the World,” which has been translated into more than 20 languages.

The Blockchain Research Institute is holding a Members Summit this week in Toronto. Members of the think tank include CIBC, Microsoft, IBM, Fujitsu, Accenture, Tencent, Bell, Nasdaq, FedEx, Interac and the Governments of Canada and Ontario.

The post NextBlock CEO Alex Tapscott Cancels Plans to Go Public and Will Return Money to Investors appeared first on Bitcoin Magazine.