February 22, 2026

Capitalizations Index – B ∞/21M

Court Extends QuadrigaCX Creditor Protection to April 2019

Court extends quadrigacx creditor protection to april 2019

Court Extends QuadrigaCX Creditor Protection to April 2019

QuadrigaCX, the embattled Canadian cryptocurrency exchange, has obtained an extension to the court-ordered investor protection until April 23. Meanwhile, Jennifer Robertson, widow of founder Gerald Cotton, is requesting reimbursement of money spent on legal fees. 


Court Approves Appointment of Restructuring Officer

According to Bloomberg, Justice Michael Wood of the Nova Scotia Supreme Court on Tuesday (March 5, 2019) approved the appointment of Peter Wedlake as the chief restructuring officer of QuadrigaCX. The Court also extended the investor protection order granted to the company until April 23, 2019.

Wedlake is a partner and senior vice president at Grant Thornton. At the back end of February 2019, Robertson, along with stepfather Tom Beazley, submitted an affidavit to the Court asking for Wedlake’s appointment. According to Robertson, a lack of experience in matters relating to insolvency and the public scrutiny attached to the proceedings were the reason for the request.

This new date means there will be a further 47-day stay of proceedings once the initial order expires on March 7, 2019. According to the third report issued by Ernst and Young, the court-appointed monitor on the case, representatives of the creditors had demanded that any further extension shouldn’t go beyond 30 days.

Quadrigacx

Widow of QuadrigaCX Founder Requests Reimbursement

Meanwhile, Robertson is also asking for a reimbursement of money spent on legal fees during the proceedings to secure investor protection from the Court. Cotton’s widow says she spent about $225,000 in interim financing from the late founder’s estate.

The Court adjourned hearing on the request to a later date. However, QuadrigaCX creditors have reportedly raised issues with Robertson’s claim. According to the concerned creditors, the monitor is still in the process of reviewing the platform’s assets.

Challenging the reimbursement request, Gavin D.F. MacDonald of Cox and Palmer, said:

The repayment contemplated by the cash flow is inappropriate until such time as the monitor has reviewed the requested information and satisfied itself as to the source of funds used to fund the CCAA proceeding.

Latest on the ‘Missing Funds’

The third report released by monitor showed that QuadrigaCX held accounts on numerous cryptocurrency exchanges including Kraken, Poloniex, and Bitfinex. The details of the report also confirmed findings published by independent cryptocurrency researcher James Edwards.

Meanwhile, as reported by Ernst and Young, all known QuadrigaCX cold wallets are empty and have been so since mid-2018, long before the start of the crisis. As reported by Bitcoinist, Kraken is offering a $100, 000 to anyone who can locate the ‘missing’ QuadrigaCX funds.

QuadrigaCX, once the largest Canadian cryptocurrency exchange, owes its customers upwards of $190 million in virtual currency and fiat.

Should Robertson be reimbursed for money spent on legal fees when creditors haven’t been settled? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. 


Image courtesy of Twitter (@ZeroNoncense), Shutterstock.

Published at Wed, 06 Mar 2019 08:00:28 +0000

Previous Article

Swiss Stock Exchange Launches Trading for ETH ETP

Next Article

Why Casinos Love Bitcoins

You might be interested in …

Litecoin Aiming for User-Activated Soft Fork Amid Rumors of SegWit Block

Litecoin creator Charlie Lee has appealed to the community to push through a user-activated soft fork (UASF).


Lee: Alleged Bitmain Interference ‘Sad If True’

Litecoin, which last week came within 5% of the required miner support to activate Segregated Witness (SegWit), appeared to fall short over the weekend, something Lee put down to interference from anti-SegWit parties.

“Sad if true,” he commented on Twitter about a suggestion from UASF code creator shaolinfry that Bitmain miner co-founder Jihan Wu was deliberately preventing Litecoin’s SegWit activation.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Wu is a vocal opponent of SegWit for bitcoin, and controls enough mining power to make a significant dent in Litecoin’s ability to transfer to the technology.

Having denied recent accusations by Core developers that Bitmain had used hardware to exploit a vulnerability in bitcoin’s code allowing more economical mining, Bitmain reiterated support for bitcoin Unlimited Friday.

“We have very firm belief that the block size of bitcoin will be increased,” it wrote.

It is the bitcoin that our co-founders signed up for, it is the roadmap designed by Satoshi and it is the destiny of bitcoin. We will protect it at any cost.

The number of bitcoin UASF-supportive nodes (BIP 148) meanwhile rose to 300 over the weekend, representing a sudden significant jump against what was previously only a very gradual incline.

Seven entities currently support the idea, data from Coin Dance suggests, these being bitcoin India, BitcoinReminder, Bitfury, Bitpay, BTCC, Freedom Node, and Samourai Wallet.

Guo Joins Calls For Litecoin UASF

Litecoin’s value has more than doubled in recent weeks as SegWit activation appeared increasingly likely. Having traded at just under $4 for an extended period, the altcoin is now at around $8.40, having previously surpassed $10 for the first time since 2014.

Facing renewed uncertainty, Lee called on the Litecoin ecosystem to get behind a UASF, blocking miner-based attempts to resist SegWit.

“If you support SegWit on Litecoin, talk to your wallets and exchanges about supporting UASF,” he wrote in a tweet Sunday.

He was joined by Chinese angel investor Chandler Guo.

Litecoin Added To Coinbase, Price Holds

At the same time, the asset’s fortunes have increased markedly. Trading volumes on Coinbase’s GDAX exchange topped $10 million last week, signaling an agreement with CEO Brian Armstrong to add fiat Litecoin purchases.

Litecoin roadmap

The decision was confirmed by Lee several times, most recently on Friday.

Criticism of Wu meanwhile continued from SegWit proponent Samson Mow, who said he had “overplayed his hand” by allegedly blocking Litecoin’s progress.

“Jihan has overplayed his hand and is losing on multiple fronts. A #UASF #SegWit activation on $LTC looks increasingly likely,” he said.

Mow and Wu have come to blows on Twitter increasingly in recent days, Wu also denying a claims by Mow regarding treatment of fellow bitcoin startup Purse.io.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

What do you think about the rumors surrounding Litecoin’s SegWit activation? Let us know in the comments below!


Images courtesy of Twitter, segwit.co, usaf.co

The post Litecoin Aiming for User-Activated Soft Fork Amid Rumors of SegWit Block appeared first on Bitcoinist.com.